Friday, January 2, 2009

"I took Jerusalem and transformed it into a business" by Tali Heruti-Sover, Ha'aretz, September 9, 2008




I am very proud to share with you an article from Ha'aretz news paper






Producer Sharon Schaveet: "I took Jerusalem and transformed it into a business" by Tali Heruti-Sover, Ha'aretz, September 9, 2008

Sharon Schaveet believes that rocks are one of Israel's great resources." People don't understand the potential hidden in our history", she says, "nor that the exportation of architecture can be a major financial sector. It is actually a broad entrepreneurial base that remains, for the time being, unexploited." Just as it should be. Schaveet, a proud resident of Jerusalem and an enthusiastic initiator of projects, already established one prospering venture, not surprisingly named Biblical Productions, for international film projects, and is planning yet another - a portal titled "I Love Jerusalem".

She has already registered ILJ as a trademark and invested 100,000 NIS of her own personal funds; she has no doubt that within a couple of months, the website will be seen by everybody interested in visiting Jerusalem, as well as in purchasing a wealth of products with the new logo. "At this point I'm looking for strategic partners, and I'm certain that this venture will make me very wealthy", she says.

The fact that Jerusalem is loaded with virtual international information (the municipal website, or Nir Barkat's Go Jerusalem) doesn't bother her. "With all due respect to Nir Barkat, the content I bring is entirely different. There's not a rock in Jerusalem that I don't know and this fact is reflected in my work. The website in question will be interactive, and will contain the experience and information I've accumulated in the last 15 years, through both international work and the web".

Schaveet, now 43 and recently divorced, has one child and spent her childhood between air-force bases. Her father, who was a pilot and a well-known commander in the force, is now a businessman. At one point, her family spent some time in the USA on a mission, and during that time she became familiar with the local language and culture – assets that would subsequently serve her well. She served on the air-force operations staff during her army service and, after her discharge, studied International Relations in the Hebrew University but wanted to work in a production company. "I did everything, from coffee girl to research assistant. I took anything I could get." She spent three years working as an employee and when she felt she'd learned enough, she opened her own company. "I never liked bosses", she says, "I have initiative in my blood. It's difficult and wonderful all at once."

Schaveet was aware of the market when she started her career. In 1993 there were already quite a number of production companies doing what she did – documentary and international co-productions. "There's always been an amazing documentary industry in Israel", she says, "but I'm not afraid of competition. I've learned that where there's competition – there's money."

Her distinctiveness is geographic – "The entire industry is concentrated in Tel Aviv and I thought that Jerusalem has a lot to offer. The international industry is interested in the capitol in particular. I realized that this niche was neglected, and decided to specialize in it. I transformed Jerusalem into a vocation." She also did a strategic about-turn and went on from production to providing logistic services for international production companies. "I realized that I hold a treasure in my hands", she says. "I know production processes but I'm also familiar with any imaginable location, all the authorities who provide licensing, all the hotels, photographers, work teams…why not transform all that into a small company that provides services to big companies? International TV networks and independent production companies that come to Israel to film documentaries need excellent production logistics partners. If they have a positive experience, they'll come back."

“My clients are my priority”

How does a self-employed woman market herself in this world? She sets up a website in English that describes her as a One Stop Shop: Biblical Productions provides for all your needs in Israel. She invested six full months in research for the project, learned how to set up a website, what content to put up, and also how to successfully promote it. "It was innovative at the time", she says, "Competitors hadn't yet identified the Internet potential and I was alone. The site served me marvelously. I made sure it had exhaustive quality content, it was like announcing to surfers: I am a professional and you are in good hands". Now all she had to do was wait for her first customer.
"Americans only work with letters of recommendation, and I needed someone to break the ice". Redemption appeared in the form of a small Los Angeles firm. "I was ready to work for free, to pay them for the privilege", she recounts, "I was so excited! I gave it all my heart".

The rest, as they say, is history. One thing led to another, her name was passed on and requests started coming in; clients such as Discovery and the USA History Channel became satisfied customers. The fact that she had spent time in the States established her business approach. "I always aim to stay within the budget as this is extremely important to the client and to me", she says, “but sometimes changes in the schedule can have an impact.” “But I respect my clients enormously”, Schaveet adds, “and I always try to work things out the best and most affordable way for their production in Israel. And you need to be professional to the end. Aside from the production work, I make an effort to introduce them to Jerusalem’s culinary highlights and beautiful corners".

Looking to the distant future, when she won't be able to rush about between locations, she is working on additional developments, such as the large film archive she owns. Documentary shorts on archeology that she produced are available to all buyers. A large firm recently sought to buy her out. "It's flattering", she admits, "but it's not what I want right now. What good would that be?"

Schaveet's feverish mind is already at work in a new direction – the Grand Jerusalem Tourism portal. The commercial potential, she believes, is immense, but her nightmare is a sudden Intifada. "My business ventures require peace and quiet", she says. "There should only not be any wars".

No comments:

Post a Comment